Saturday, May 3, 2014

National Scrapbooking Day

I have been having so much fun being creative of late. I taught a few women how to make star albums as part of a really neat yearly program at our local Women's Centre called HerART. They bring in people who are artists, performers, or crafters and have them share their passion with those who may not normally be able to access art education. I've done three workshops: art journalling, scrapbooking, and cardmaking, which was today. If I'd thought about it, I'd have switched things around so I did the scrapbooking workshop on NSD, but alas, I didn't. 

The participants loved the process. They enjoyed having that the project was something that would allow them to have a finished product. They loved the creativity of choosing their own colours and embellishments, too. Once they all go the hang of using the paper trimmer, the process was pretty straight forward. Nobody had their pictures with them, so they just put the bones of the book together. I taught them the trick I learned (which I struggle to explain in writing, yet makes sense when I demo it face to face) to easily add pictures to the album even after it's fully put together. After the two hours was up they were excited to go home & decide what pictures they wanted to add!

We also talked about traditional 12x12 scrapbooking. I brought in one of my albums with some completed pages to show them what that style looks like. I'd considered doing a 12x12 page with them, but I knew many of them wouldn't have an album to store it in when it was complete. I also talked a bit about Project Life style scrapbooking, for those who wanted a way to save their photos and memories, without having to invest the time  and money required for more ornate pages. 

It was a fun morning!






2 comments:

Jeanette (Forest Ranger) said...

What a fun star album!

Dell said...

What a great album and so sweet of you to teach others to make it. Glad you had so much fun for National Scrapbooking day.