Saturday, June 14, 2014

Cards for a Cause

On Friday, we had our wrap up party for a group called My Faith Journey. It's a leadership training program I got involved with in the fall. We had relatively small group, four adults & four youth. It's been a really interesting experience to talk about faith in this setting. The ideas and insight our teens have had has been inspiring and it's meant a great deal to me to watch them grow over the 10 months we've been together. The four adults meet every Monday morning for two hours to pray and plan. So when I was asked last Monday to supply the cards for all of us (the adults got one, too, and we all signed each other's cards), I was thrilled.

I wasn't, however, thrilled with what I came up with. I had some larger (5x7) cards in my stash from the same card class I mentioned in my previous post. I'm not experienced in making larger cards, and it shows. It doesn't help that I couldn't wrap my brain around what stamps would work well. I ended up taking some inspiration from a recent Brian King blog post. Brian's still look better, though, as do the original cards by Jenn.

I don't entirely hate this first one. I wish the sentiment was bigger, though. I'm not in love with the balance due to the bigger banner at the bottom. The original card is.here.


Again, this one would not be so bad if the sentiment were bigger. I actually would have preferred an image where the sentiment panel is, and then I'd have put a horizontal sentiment along the bottom. Or just done it more like a spring version of Jen's, here.


I don't mind the proportions here. It just feels like it needs something. I was going to put one of those long strips of bling, but of course, I couldn't FIND my bling. That said, when I make this design again, I'll use ribbon where the light purple paper is, and I'll likely add a ribbon charm/slider of some sort. I can't find the original card on Jen's blog, so I'm wondering if it's one of the ones that she pulled for publication.


These last two card I don't mind as much. On an A2 scale it'd work. Here, it did need the sentiment framed with some flourishes. Again... that would require me to be able to get at my flourishes! With the last one maybe a wider mat. Or again, maybe some bling. I think it could be take on this card.


And let's not even talk about how much cuter Jen's version is one. At least, I think the one I've linked is the right one... I'm not sure. Either way, it's depressing me that this one is so blah compared to any of Jen's.


Card Details - All products Stampin' Up

Cardstock: Tangerine Tango, Dafodil Delight, Rich Razzleberry, Old Olive, Baja Breeze
Stamps: Trust God
Ink: Old Olive
DSP: Greenhouse Gala (first two cards), Cottage Wall (all others)

4 comments:

MiamiKel said...

Tania, I think each and everyone one of your cards is a vision! I love that your faith stands strong and true and the focal point of each card, so creatively placed into different styles and paper choices - WONDERFULLY done!!
TFS! ♥

Just Me said...

All of your cards are great. I really like the old olive with the rich razzleberry.

Kristie said...

When I first started making cards, I only made larger ones. I am pretty sure I wouldn't be able to make one now. I love that Cottage Wall paper, it makes pretty cards!

Dell said...

These cards are simply lovely! What a wonderful way to share your faith.