Friday, April 22, 2011

Easter 2011 Part 1 - Traditions and treat boxes

I did not mean to take such a long break from blogging. Wasn't feeling very creative in April. Lots going on. I did take lots of pictures, so I will share some of those in the next few days.

One of the few creative things I did do recetly was attend a fun class at the LSS on April 11. We made Easter 6 treat boxes and 2 cards.

Normally I am not big on non card or layout classes, but I enjoy giving some of the young people in my life little treats/gifts at various times of the year, and Easter is great for that. Who doesn't love a little bit of chocolate? The toughest thing for me is having something cute to put it in, so this class was perfect.
This first box is big enough that I can get treats for 2-3 kiddos in it, which is perfect, as one of my friends has 3 girls. I'll just sure that I put enough in that it divides up evenly. I checked, and it fits 36 eggs.

 

We decorate two different sized take out boxes. The smaller one (not pictured) fit about 24 eggs. I gave that one to my cousin, who is 12. She came over today and I actually hid her chocolate for her, because she likes the tradition. 

The, as is also our tradition, we decorated eggs.  The turned out really well. I had decorated eggs at GEMS (Girls Everywhere Meeting The Saviour, a program at our church which is for gr. 2-7, and is much like a Bible based Brownies/Guides program - we sing, do crafts. have campouts, earn badges) the night before and our coordinator, who leads a group with me, showed the kids different egg dying tricks. The night before we used elastic bands and tape. Today, with J., I tried the trick she mentioned where you add a bit of cooking oil to the dye mix. As you can see in the picture, in some places, because of the oil, the dye doesn't take, or if you put the egg in multiple colours, the oil will make different colours disperse in different spots. It was very cool and I think we'd try that again.


The oil experimentation twigged my dear J's brain to think about other chemical reactions she had heard about or done in school, and suddenly she wanted to 'blow something up.' Once I realized what she meant, we got the vinegar. baking soda and a pop bottle and had a little fun on the deck. I would have said no, but really, I've done it before and I knew how to do this test safely so I figured, really, what's the harm?

.

Here are the other items I made at the class earlier this month.

I love the french fry style container. It'll be perfect for my friend's ds.

 These three boxes are perfect for girls. The one in the centre will be for my honorary niece 'S' and the two white boxes will be for my friend A.'s two older dd's. The trick now will be to figure out what to put in them... it 's a matter of what will fit and ensuring that everyone gets the same amount. That may mean I'll need to put some stuffing in the french fry container, since it looks to me like it will fit more. The embellishments are just cut from a sheet of patterned paper.

We also made two cards. I jsut realized the first one isn't quite done.... I have to adhere the transparency sheet we were given to finish off the window. It was the only thing I didn't get finished that night. The little eggs are cut right out of scrap of leftover patterned paper from one of the other items we made that night.

This card is really cute, too. I love the scalloped edges.

Supplies:Cardstock: American Crafts
Patterned Paper, Stamps: We R Memory Keepers 'Peep' line
Ink: Memento
Ribbon: Misc.

7 comments:

The Mama Monkey said...

Oh my gosh, I love the oil in the egg dye trick! I wish I had read this last night! LOL Next year...

Love all your projects! That window Easter card is awesome!

Becky said...

What wonderful projects you have created. Who ever receives them will be blessed.
Happy Easter

Samantha said...

adorable, I love all of it but the fry container is my favorite.

Fiona said...

Wow, Tania, you've certsainly been busy and produced some great projects! I love the coloured eggs and I'm sure you made several young people very happy today! A Happy Easter to you :)

Andrea said...

What lovely boxes!! I'm sure everyone loved receiving them!!

Jennipher said...

So glad to see you blogging again. I kept poppin' in but you hadn't updated. Glad to know you are okay.

Heather B said...

Glad you're back Tania!! Beautiful projects.